- The Kew Bears have competed in the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA) since 1949.
- Our earliest era of success was between 1950 and 1964 when we won five flags.
- In 1979 Kew won the premiership in C Grade.
- 2007 saw two clubs, Kew Football Club and North Kew Bears (previously SFL) merge.
- In 2013, the Senior Men won their seventh senior premiership with a win over Elsternwick.
- In 2014, the boys went back to back with a grand final win over St.Mary’s Salesian.
- Also in 2014, the club welcomed its first female side, with the women entering Division 5 of the VWFL.
- In 2015, the Senior Men’s side won their third flag in as many years. They were then promoted from Division 1 to Premier C
- In 2016, the Women’s team won the Division 1 premiership after only three years in existence, beating Darebin Falcons by 19 points.
Contact the Club
President: David Henderson Email
Vice President: Michael Cochrane Email (0402 823 099)
Senior Men’s Coach: Peter Callinan (0421 062 720)
Reserves Coach: Paul Brough
Women’s Coach: Theo Vlahos (0408 177 058)
Women’s Manager: Courtney Morath – Email
Treasurer: Chris Briggs – Email
Secretary: Phil Woodhouse – Email
Online or media usage enquiries: Courtney Morath Email
J.J. Higgins Reserve, Victoria Park, High Street, Kew (Melways 45 G5).
View Larger Map
Senior Premierships – 10
VAFA – Joined in 1879
B Section – 1953, 1966
C Section – 1950, 1962, 1964, 1979
D1 Section – 2015
D2 Section – 2014
D3 Section – 2013
VWFL – Joined in 2014
D1 Section – 2016
Kew first joined the VAFA (then Metropolitan Junior FA) for the seasons1899-1900. The Reserves (called Kew District FC) joined the VAFA (then Metropolitan Amateur FA) for a single season in 1926. The senior team remained in the Victorian Junior FA (later VFA Reserves) until close of season 1926.
Kew then joined the Victorian Football League Sub District Association, winning five flags including the 1934 Melbourne Centenary Premiership. The Sub District FA was sponsored by the VFL as a third tier of Senior football behind itself and the VFA. Kew then re-joined the VAFA in 1949 and is still a proud member of this competition.
In 2007, Kew Football Club merged with North Kew Bears FC. The name of the club remained Kew Football Club, but the mascot Bears has now been adopted as a nickname
In 2014, after hosting 135 years of Men’s football, the Kew Football welcomed its first Women’s side, competing in the VWFL.
Senior Competition Best and Fairest Award Winners
J.N. Woodrow Medal (A Section)
G.T. Moore (B Section)
N.Stokes 1957, V.Crowe 1966, D.Mullin 1969, W.Blay 1983, B.Burden 1986
L.S. Zachariah Medal (C Section)
A.Castle 1950, J.Busuttil 1986, G.White 1993, L. Kinsella 2016
Junior Club Affiliation